Wondering what we served at The Olive Feast??
Olive Oil Poached Prime Rib of Lamb
w/ Oil Cured Olives, Cucumber & Chickpea Salad, Mint Salsa Verde, Vadouvan Yogurt
Paired with Imagery Estate Winery, Dragonsleaf Syrah, Sonoma Mountain, 2012
For The Lamb:
- 3 racks of lamb, bones & fat cap removed
- 3 cups good olive oil
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 12 cloves garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 3 gallon size ziplock bags
EQUIPMENT: Immersion circulator set to 125 degrees
Clean the lamb. Season liberally with salt and pepper. Place each lamb rack into a separate bag with one cup oil, 1 sprig of thyme and 4 smashed garlic cloves. Submerge each bag in the water bath with circulator, gentle placing the bag to remove all air from bag and use clip to hold bag in place. Cook for 3 hours.
For The Mint Salsa Verde:
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chives, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon capers, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic, finely chopped
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- ½ cup olive oil
- Pinch chili flakes
– Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
– Season with salt and pepper to taste.
For The Vadouvan Yogurt:
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon vadouvan curry spice
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
– Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mix thoroughly.
For The Vinaigrette:
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- ¾ cup blended oil
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice (from about 4 lemons)
- Salt and white pepper to taste
– Whisk the vinegar, oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper together. Refrigerate for up to 1 day ahead.
For The Vegetables:
- 4 cups chickpeas, cooked (see Food for Thought)
- 1 small red onion, julienned
- 1 English cucumbers, seeded and sliced into ¼-inch half moons
- ½ cup Lemon Vinaigrette (see above)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
– Combine the chickpeas, onion, cucumbers with the vinaigrette. Toss gently, season with salt and pepper, and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the refrigerator about 30 minutes before serving.
– Hard sear the lamb in a hot pan with canola oil for 2 minutes. Let rest for ten minutes. Divide the chickpea salad among 6 plates. Slice each rack into 8 pieces. Fan 4 racks per plate next to the salad. Garnish each plate with a drizzle of mint salsa verde and a dollop of the curry yogurt. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Food For Thought: If possible, use fresh garbanzo beans. They are in season from approximately June to September in Northern California. If you can’t find fresh garbanzos, try Rancho Gordo classic garbanzo beans.