- 18-20 pickling cucumbers, scrubbed
- 4 quarts filtered water
- 6 tablespoons kosher salt
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoons chili flakes
- 1 Tbs. whole peppercorns
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 large bunch of dill, preferably going to seed, washed
- 3 one-quart pickling jars (wide mouth), sterilized
In a large pot bring one quart water to a boil and add salt. Stir slowly until salt has completely dissolved. Remove pot from heat and add the remaining water.
Pack cucumbers vertically in jars and evenly distribute garlic, spices, bay leaves and dill among the three jars.
Fill jars with salt brine so that cucumbers are completely covered. Cover jars with cheesecloth (secure with rubber band) and place in a cool, dark place to ferment.
After three days, taste one! Pickles can ferment anywhere from three to 6 days, and will continue to become more sour during this time.
Allow them to age to your taste, then lid jars and refrigerate.